Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Everyone needs a vacation...

Welcome to thatwasrockandroll.

During my formative years, pop music was overtaken by "soft" music--less beat, less guitar, more vocal stylings, as they say.  One of the songs I couldn't escape was "I'm Not in Love" by a British band called 10cc.  It was languid (to say the least), and told the story of a man trying to convince himself he wasn't in love.

I knew practically nothing of 10cc, as their popularity was practically 100% across the pond.  Later, I was subjected to an earworm of a song called "The Things We Do For Love" (you remember--like walking in the rain and the snow/and there's nowhere to go/and you're feeling like a part of you is dying--that one).  What I missed because all of my exposure was from AM radio was some of their cheekier stuff.  Like today's nugget from the Time Machine.

The song tells the tale of a man on vacation in the Caribbean, and the characters and experiences he encounters along the way.  It was unique in that reggae wasn't much of a genre in the mid-70s, and while this song wasn't pure reggae it was flavored enough to be exotic.  I didn't hear it until I was a senior in college, and it went out of my awareness until just recently, when I heard it more than once on SiriusXM.

Anyway, enjoy your vacation--or, as the Brits say it--your "holiday".


Two of 10cc's members--Kevin Godley and Lol Creme--attained fame in the '80s as music video directors, turning out classic videos like "Every Breath You Take" for the Police" and the legendary (and now extremely dated) "Rockit" for Herbie Hancock.  They also released a song called "Cry" that was the ancestor of the face-morphing technique Michael Jackson used in "Black or White", but without the computers.

See you tomorrow...


Pete

No comments: