Wednesday, January 16, 2019

ah ha ha ha

Welcome to thatwasrockandroll.

Got a chance to see Spider Man:  Into the Spider-Verse and it was spectacular.  Sorta animation, sorta anime, sorta CGI.  With a Nic Cage voice performance (try and guess it--I doubledog dare you).  And of course, there's the obligatory riff on the TV series theme, with modern flourishes included.

Since the movie was targeted, ahem, slightly younger than I am, it was something of an adventure to listen to the music.  As someone who believes that 98% of all current popular music is unlistenable, it was somewhat jarring to be watching something and having no cues to my upbringing.  Except the theme, of course.

But the TV theme brought me back to afternoons after school and hours spent reading comic books (alas, my mom threw them out, along with my baseball/football cards and other stuff that would be worth a small fortune now).  I was more a Flash guy, and Green Hornet (the TV version with Van Johnson and BRUCE FRICKIN LEE).

Now that I've roamed all over the pasture, let's get to today's song.  While I am on record having a distaste for remakes, sometimes I make an exception.  Bur first, let's luxuriate in the original:


While nothing can be as good to my closed-off mind (especially the dischord at the end), there IS a version that is damned near perfect.  And by someone who I don't listen to all that much.  Chances are you forgot about it, as it's from the first Tobey Maguire movie.  But it's worth a listen because it's just SO different...


It's a take that Sinatra would have endorsed.  Way cool...


Pete

No comments: