Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Weird, but entertaining...

Welcome to thatwasrockandroll, after a hefty absence (hey, I told you I was sick). 

Today's entry is from the "strange" folder--songs that I really like but only once in a while.  My tolerance for out-of-the-box thinking is pretty high but not enough for me to handle an ongoing diet of things that are truly off-center.

Exhibit A is a song from 1984.  The song is crazy enough, with what can only be called "avant garde" instrumentation.  The only thing that's further out there than the song is the video.  It was a different time--MTV was only 4 years old and to get attention you needed a video with wild visuals.  This one doesn't disappoint, for sure...


Door #2 has another eclectic combination.  It was a Pot Luck combination of instruments, styles, and visuals.  Tell me the guitar player (who only turns up in the video when his part is played) doesn't look like Elvis Costello.  The tune is catchy, and always cheers me up.  There's a version that's almost six minutes long but my "off-kilter" alarm goes off after about 4.  This is the short version, but it contains all the important components.  A mashup from 1998 that still has power today...


I still say "Wind it up, baby!" every so often.  I have no idea why.

Last, but certainly not least, is everyone's favorite dance band.  Listening to their music is a full-on assault of bass, drums, samples played on rapid repeat, and so on.  The tune is something of an "earworm" and once you hear it you can't "unhear" it.  But the reward is the video--showing us a side of a major actor nobody knew he had.  I give you a man who is game for just about anything, whether it's on screen or live on Broadway (I saw him in a play called "A Behanding in Spokane" with Sam Rockwell that sent chills down my spine).  Take it away...


I'll return to the beaten path later.  But today just seemed "right" to indulge my "other" side...


Pete

No comments: