Today's trip in the Time Machine lands on another Canadian voice that is without peer. And I mean, without anything CLOSE to a peer. It's one of the few voices that elicit an emotional response from me every time I hear it, regardless of the song.
This is the first time I ever heard The Voice. I'm guessing The Voice was still in its teens when this video was shot, the uneasiness shown during the performance betrays the age of the singer. But when it's time for the chorus, The Voice unleashes a power that would come to be considered one of the strongest Voices in popular music.
The Voice won an Oscar for a song that was refused at first, and then only sang it one time for the recording. ONE TIME. And by the way, The Voice is singing in a language that is not native. French is the preferred tongue of this artist.
Guessed it yet? Didn't think so. It's Celine Dion, whose voice raises the little hairs on the back of my neck every time I hear her voice. She's in complete command of her instrument, and can do whatever she wants with whatever material she's given. Want proof? Check out her cover of Cyndi Lauper's "I Drove All Night" and wait for the last minute or so--she takes a relatively high note and blasts it away with a higher third. I get chills thinking about it.
She gets all sort of flak but that's what Divas get. Aretha. Mariah (who has more range but significantly less power). But that is all jealousy from my chair. Sit back and listen to a 19-year-old Celine Dion just kill a slow ballad that became her first US hit. It's worth it...
Ooooh. See you tomorrow...
Pete
No comments:
Post a Comment